While updating the card on file or verifying your Heroku account for the first time, you received the following error: Unable to verify your card. Please try later or contact your financial institution for help.
If you're experiencing an issue attempting to add a credit card to your Heroku account, we recommend the following to help troubleshoot the issue:
- 3D Secure (3DS) failure. 3D Secure is a layer of security that your bank requires where you'll have to enter a confirmation code to authorize payment. Sometimes there are problems with 3D Secure that can cause debit and credit card verification to fail.
- If you do not know your confirmation method (or you have not set up 3D Secure), follow the instructions from your financial institution on the pop-up. If you cannot see instructions, or you have any questions please contact your financial institution.
- Disable any software that would block your IP address, such as a VPN
- Check to see if you're entering the card number and/or expiration date correctly
- Double check the CVV
- Amex cardholders: please use the 4 digit CVV on the front of your card
- Confirm with your bank that you're entering the correct billing address for the card that matches your banking statement exactly
- Contact your bank and/or credit card provider to provide more insight into what might be causing you to not add the card to your account
- You can also attempt the verification with another credit card if you're not able to use your primary purchasing card.
When cards are not accepted, Heroku does not have access to what caused this to occur. We do understand that this can be a frustrating experience. However, in order to protect the privacy of all cardholders, we only receive a generic "Decline" message from the payment processor.
Prepaid card verifications
Heroku does not accept prepaid credit or debit cards.
India issued credit card verifications
Heroku complies with the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) regulations and accepts India-issued Visa or MasterCard cards.
- After adding your credit card, it can take up to 30 minutes for Heroku to receive an e-mandate from your financial institution to verify your card. You can't provision resources until we verify your card. If we are unable to verify the e-mandate, and there was a prior card on your account, it will remain as your default payment method.
- Due to RBI regulations, recurring transactions over the equivalent of 15,000 INR can be declined. If your payment was declined, contact your bank to approve the payment, or update your credit card to re-verify your card using 3D Secure.
- For more guidance on how to update the card on file with your Personal Heroku account or Heroku Team, see this Knowledge Base article.